Monday, May 25, 2015

Mini Vay- Asheville

We spent this weekend in Asheville for my brother's wedding.  I LOVE AVL!  There are so many fun things to do, places to see and most importantly, amazing food to eat!  Wanted to share a few of my faves from the weekend!

If you are in Asheville, Wall Street is a must.  Two of my favorite pit stops are here, just doors apart.  Your first stop is Appalachian Natural Soaps.  Their philosophy is "don't get naked with anything you can't trust", and it carries through on all of their yummy soaps.  I picked up a couple bars- Cinnamon Oatmeal and Cool Green Asheville.  Everything smells amazing and the staff in the store is super nice.  Make a quick stop on your way to my next must-visit...

Early Girl Eatery.  O.M GAH as all my Southern friends say.  This place is amazing!  The wait on a Saturday morning can be a bit long, so put your name in and walk around downtown for a bit.  We had quite the feast here.  I had the black bean & cheddar omelet, and my husband had their Early Girl Benny.  This benny is pretty damn incredible- Grit cakes topped with tomato, spinach, poached eggs, tomato gravy and avocado, served with toast or a homemade biscuit.  Biscuit.  Duh and the end.  Their coffee is also really good- it's roasted at Counter Culture, which is always amazing!  Don't even get me started up on my soapbox about bad breakfast coffee, and they have some great cocktails too. Try the Cava Sour if you want some early morning bubbles!

The food at Early Girl is farm to table, so you are getting local goodies that are fresh and in season.  The food is from smaller, family-run farms, so you're also supporting businesses that have been around for generations.  Definitely a must-do.

After brunch, you can hop in the car and make your way along the Blue Ridge parkway, driving for a bit to work off lunch.  It's a gorgeous drive and there are many places to stop along the way to take a peek at the mountains or do a little hike if you're so inclined.

After a bit, make your way back to AVL for a bit more feasting.  Next stop- Tupelo Honey Cafe.  Come hungry because I have a whole list of must-haves here!  First off, they will bring you a delicious biscuit with blueberry compote.  Pile.  That. S&*$ on.  It's to die for.  Next up, apps...  For starters, try out the Appalachian Egg Rolls & TN Country Ham Wontons.  These are both incredible and totally unique.  If you still have room (try to save a little!), the supper plates are a can't miss.  The buttermilk fried chicken and mac n cheese are two standards that are so good.  If you're more of a veg, the Grateful Dead Black Bean burger (lunchtime only) is a winner.  My favorite part about Tupelo Honey?  The cookbook!  It's not the same, but helps me get my fix when the black bean burger is 1000 miles away.

For more AVL tips, comment or ask questions.  Enjoy your trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment