Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Spaghetti Wha...?

I think I am one of the last people in the world to embrace the spaghetti squash.  I just refused to believe that anything could legitimately take the place of a carb-filled, nutritionally-void spaghetti noodle.  What's even funnier is that I don't really like pasta.  Give me a yummy filled ravioli or lasagna any day, but spaghetti?  Meh.

I finally bit the bullet a month or so ago and decided to try the mighty spaghetti squash, and now I can't get enough of the stuff!  I wanted to share this quick and easy recipe with you...  it's healthy, yummy and super quick to fix!

Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash

Pesto:
1/2 cup fresh basil
1/4 cup fresh baby spinach
 Olive Oil (1/4-1/2 cup)
Juice of 1 lemon
Pinch of sea salt
Garlic (to taste)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut your spaghetti squash in half, remove the seeds and place face down on a cookie sheet with a thin layer of water on it.  Roast for 45-60 minutes, until squash is tender and you can scrape out the inside easily.  A good way to test is take a fork and scrape across the inside of the squash.  If the inside comes out easily and looks like noodles, you are good!

While the squash is roasting, combine the pesto ingredients in a blender.  I have a Ninja, and love to use the individual cups with this recipe.  You will see from a lot of my recipes that I live in a grey cooking world, meaning I often cook to taste- not measurement!  Such is the case with this pesto.  Add garlic and lemon to taste.  You can also add pine nuts or freshly grated parm cheese, depending on your dietary wants/needs.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment